Find out how solar energy works and why people are choosing it for their homes.
If you’re in the process of buying a house, or looking for new energy-saving and eco-friendly trends to update your property, solar energy is something you may have came across. But what is it and how does it work? We’ve gathered the main details for you.
The Solar Energy Industries Association defines solar energy (also referred to as solar power) as “energy from the sun that is converted into thermal or electrical energy.” Their website explains that “is the cleanest and most abundant renewable energy source available, and the U.S. has some of the richest solar resources in the world. Solar technologies can harness this energy for a variety of uses, including generating electricity, providing light or a comfortable interior environment, and heating water for domestic, commercial, or industrial use.”
So How Does It Work?
The Climate Reality Project explains that solar energy works by allowing photons, or particles of light, to knock electrons free from atoms, generating a flow of electricity.
A few other facts regarding solar energy are:
- Solar energy is a completely free source of energy and it is found in abundance
- Installing solar power can increase your home’s value. It’s 21st Century home improvement.
- By coupling solar PV with battery/energy storage, solar energy can even provide electricity 24×7, even on cloudy days and at night
- Solar energy is being recognized as the future of alternative energy sources due to its abundance, capability of deployment in most places and falling costs in recent years making it cost competitive with traditional fossil fuel sourced energy.
- Federal tax credits are available to further reduce ownership costs
The Difference Between Solar Energy and Traditional Electricity
When trying to decide between solar energy and traditional sources of electricity, people tend to look at pricing as a deciding factor. While there can be a significant upfront cost, solar power systems can be financed and generally pay for themselves within a few years. With a maintenance free lifespan of 30+ years, solar power remains a positive investment when compared to relying solely on the utility.
- Solar panels create no waste or emissions, and their source (the sun!) requires no location, transportation or combustion of fossil fuels.
- Unlike traditional energy, solar energy is renewable, meaning that no matter what, we cannot run out of solar energy as long as the sun is alive. And according to NASA, the sun will be around for another 6.5 billion years.
- Solar power requires little to no maintenance. For example, household solar panels typically require at most an annual cleaning and come with a 25 year warranty.
Are you ready to reap the benefits of solar energy? Contact us today to get quotes and more information on solar energy for your home!
You Might Also Like
4 Deceptive (yet Legal) Ways Solar Companies Can Hurt Customers Solar energy is on the rise in Georgia. Recognizing this growing demand and low solar…